Perino del Vaga
Pietro Buonaccorso (Florance 1501-1547) called Pierin del Vaga from the name of his first master, was pupil of Ridolfo Ghirlandaio and once moved to Rome of Raffaello for which he worked with Giovanni da Udine in the decoration of the Vatican’s Lodges (1518-1519). After the death of Raffaello (April 1520) he frescoed, with Giovanni da Udine, the pontiff hall in Vatican state. After that he was entrusted for the decoration of the new palace of Melchiorre Baldassini. Returned to Florence for a short period (1522-23) he got in touch with the Rosso, wile the following year , back in Rome he frequented the Parmigianino, artists with which he shared the fine formal choices from which the Mannerism was born. The Sack of Rome in the month of May of 1527, scattered this group of artists; Perino accepted to move to Genoa in the spring of 1528 to enter in service of Andrea Doria , which he probably already met in Rome. During his time in Genoa (1528-1537), interrupted only by some short periods in Pisa, Perino was the artist of Andrea’s court, for which he planed other than the decoration of the Villa of Fassolo, the furniture of the household (flags tapestry, needle works, furniture, ephemeral party ornaments). The artist in 1535 concluded the challenging decoration of the villa, which started the renewal of the Genoese Renaissance paintwork. In 1534 Perino signed and dated the Nativity with Santi, called Pala Basadonne, already present in the Genoese church of the Consolation and now in the National Gallery of Washington. In 1535 the artist realized the Polittico of San Michele in Celle Ligure, still in its original location while the Polittico of Saint Erasmo, already in the oratory of sant’Erasmo in Genoa Quinto, is now located in the Linguistic Academy of the Arts. In 1537 Perino moved to Pisa and in 1538-39 went back to Rome where he became the fa favorite artist of the cardinal Farnese, and then for pope Paolo III, for which he decorated the private apartment of Castel Sant’Angelo. The Artist is buried in the Pantheon next to Raffaello.